Burn Injuries: When to Call a Doctor and a Lawyer

kurtzBurn injuries are classified according to severity. Most common are first-degree burns which are the least serious. Second-degree burns reach deeper into the skin and are characterized by blotchy red, pink, or white patches that cause blisters. Third-degree burns penetrate all layers of skin.

It can be hard to determine when to seek medical help for a burn injury. As a general rule, very young and very old patients must seek medical attention. Those who suffered burns caused by chemicals should also be checked by a physician as these can have severe side effects. All third-degree burn patients should be brought to the ER.

Call a doctor for a first-degree burn that affects more than 15 percent of the body or a second-degree burn larger than two inches in diameter. Also seek medical help for burns that affect parts of the body where the skin is more delicate, such as the face or genitals.

Certain burn injuries are caused by negligence. If you or a loved one sustains a significant burn injury in an accident caused by another party, talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Burn injuries—especially those that are most severe—can be expensive to treat. A lawyer can help you get compensation for the medical treatment, equipment, and care that you require.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s